HELMET SHIELDS AND VISORS
CHOOSING A GOOD VISOR/SHIELD FOR YOUR HELMET
You have to encounter extreme weather conditions while riding your bike. For good vision while riding, it's important to invest in a good helmet shield. A helmet shield or visor should be purchased according to the type of rider you are. Depending on whether you ride during the day or night, you can choose what visor suits you best. It's also crucial to check the compatibility of your visor/shield with your helmet.
Types of Shields/Visors:
- Transparent or Clear Visor:
- Almost all protective helmets have this kind of visor. It doesn't have any shading or tint, so you would need sunglasses to block the sun. Riders who enjoy riding at night will find these types of visors useful as the transparency allows for better night vision.
- Smoked Visor:
- If you like to ride in the daytime, smoked visors are for you. There is a tinted layer over the surface so direct sunlight does not hit your eyes. The best thing about these visors is that you don't need to wear sunglasses for protection from the sun but they aren’t suitable for nighttime riding.
- Yellow-tinted visors:
- These are made to be worn when riding at night. The yellow tint of the glasses improves contrast in low-light situations thus giving you better visibility at night.
- Iridium/Reflective Visor:
- Due to their mirror finish, these shields reflect the maximum amount of sunlight making them ideal for hot summer days. As they are reflective, they are quite stylish and look good too. It's recommended that you only use these for daytime riding.
- Photochromic Visors:
- A photochromic visor changes its color depending on the amount of UV light hitting it. So, when it's a dark day, the visor will stay light. But if there's a lot of sun, it will start darkening.
When should you replace your shield?
There aren't any fixed timelines for when you should replace your visor or shield. If you start seeing any surface damage in the form of cracks and scratches that is impairing your ability to see the road, it's probably a good time to get it replaced. Drivers may have difficulty tuning out the distortions created by these cracks and deep scratches, which again can affect both performance and safety. Best to get a new one if you see something of this sort.
Eagle Leather has the best range of Helmet Shields and Visors including clear, smoked and photochromic visors that are available at the best possible prices. Pinlock products such as their Fog-Free Inserts are also available on our website. We offer free shipping over $69. Buy now!