It's Almost Time for Sturgis!
July 10, 2013Gear Up for Sturgis!
Sturgis is Just Three Weeks Away! Are You Ready?
It’s almost that time… time for Sturgis! If your blood starts pumping at the mere mention of the word, we know how you feel. We have compiled a few tips that will help the newcomers and Sturgis veterans alike. If you plan on riding to South Dakota, here is some helpful information and must-have gear recommendations!
What to Pack:
Wear your leather gear for the ride, and have your rain gear handy in case you experience rough weather on the way. You won’t have the luxury of packing for every type of weather, so check the forecast before you leave to pack the right clothes. Plan on wearing a pair of jeans more than once, and bring flip flops and other “campground attire.”
Use a waterproof bag for your toiletries. Most campground showers require you to bring everything into the stall with you, so a single bag that can hold everything and hang on a hook will work best.
Choose a tent, sleeping bag, and sleeping mat that are small enough to be strapped to your bike. Fleece sleepers may be a good option for your sleeping bag because they will roll up much tighter than standard ones.
Other useful items include a knife, sunscreen, lotion, chapstick, a flashlight, and disposable hand wipes… don’t forget your camera!
Where to Stay:
For your stay at Sturgis, you essentially have three lodging options:
- Housing rentals: many local residents rent out their houses for the Sturgis Motorcycle Rally. There are plenty of 1, 2, 3, or 4+ person rentals available.
- Camping, cabins, and RV parks: There are nearly a hundred different cabins and campgrounds to choose from in and around Sturgis. Other local towns that are nearby include Spearfish, Rapid City, Hill City, Keystone, Nemo, Hot Springs, and Custer.
and motels: The Northern Black Hills area has the largest selection of
hotels and motels, but there is also a decent selection in Central Hills
and Southern Hills.
- Eagle Utility Pocket Jacket – With an air-flow venting system, memory foam padding, and belted waist adjustments, this jacket not only has enough pockets to carry all your essentials, it is comfortable too!
- Chaps – These chaps are lined, which make them easy to take on and off.
- A Sissy Bar Bag – This bag measures 14" L x 7" W x 18" H and can be mounted on a luggage rack or passenger seat.
- Gloves – These heavy duty gloves are classic and won't wear out for the ride.
- Hogg Togg Rain Suit – This breathable, 100% waterproof rain suit is ideal for hot summer months.
We know… it’s a long shot. But if you and your significant other are looking for a unique place to tie the knot, you can get married at the Sturgis Motorcycle Rally!
Have you been to the Sturgis rally before? First-timer? Let us know your experience on the Eagle Leather Facebook page!