Let’s look at some advice for keeping cool that we folks in the Pacific Northwest can use when the temperature gets too high.
- Drink two to four glasses of water every hour so your body can sweat and thereby cool off.
- Salty foods and proteins produce metabolic heat that causes water loss, so avoid them. Fruits and vegetables are better choices.
- Eat smaller meals and eat more often.
- Avoid alcohol, which can multiply the effects of heat.
- Keep out of the direct sun as much as you can.
- When you’re not wearing motorcycle gear, wear a hat and light-colored, light-weight clothing that’s loose on you.
- Don’t get sunburned – it lowers your body's ability to cool itself and can also make you dehydrated.
- Even two minutes can raise the temperature in a closed car to an unsafe 94 degrees. Never shut children or pets in the car.
- Summer is a great time to enjoy the outdoors, but if it’s too hot, take advantage of air conditioning.