Safety Tip of the Week
How to Lane-Split Safely
Now that lane-splitting is legal in California, you should know how to do it in the safest possible manner. You do run the risk of being hit by cars changing lanes. Here are some tips to avoid that when you’re riding in California:
- Start to lane-split slowly and ensure both lanes of traffic are traveling at the same speed or are stopped. If one lane is going faster than the other, drivers are apt to switch lanes and you could be in the way.
- Keep your headlights on and wear reflective clothing. Do whatever you can to be visible.
- Stay alert. Watch the cars beside you and ahead of you. If a driver is checking the mirrors, he/she may be ready to change lanes, so give him/her space. Be especially careful when you are in a driver’s blind spot.
- When cars are too close together, honk, then stop and wait for the gap to widen; don’t try to force your way through.
- Drive just a little faster than the slow traffic. Don’t zoom or weave. When traffic speeds up, get back into a lane.
Remember, lane-splitting is not legal in Washington.
Stay safe out there!