A Winter Danger

Safety Tip of the Week
A Hidden Danger: Carbon Monoxide Poisoning

Working on your motorcycle in your garage in cold weather can get you into serious trouble from stealthy, deadly carbon monoxide. Avoid problems—and a possible trip to the ER—this way:

  • Don’t use a charcoal or gas grill to warm your garage.
  • Don’t use a gasoline or propane heater, either. Any heating system that burns fuel can produced carbon monoxide. Instead, use an electric heater, either plug-in or battery-powered.
  • Don’t run a generator inside your garage. Generators should be at least 20 feet from your home.
  • Don’t start the motorcycle (or your car) with the garage door closed. And be aware of the wind direction. If the wind is blowing toward your open garage door, it will keep the fumes inside the garage, where they can harm you.

Leave a comment

Please note, comments must be approved before they are published

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.